Classic Southern Triple-Decker Strawberry Cake Recipe
Triple-Decker Strawberry Cake (photo courtesy of Oxmoor House, Inc.)
Strawberry lovers are in luck this time of year, as you can get them fresh almost anywhere in the U.S. Combine that with the fact that Father's Day is on its way and it seemed like a great time to present this recipe for those who want to show Dad some love with cake.
The recipe comes from our friends at always excellent Southern Living magazine. They have included it in a new book, “Classic Southern Desserts: All-Time Favorite Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Puddings, Cobblers, Ice Cream & More.” They wrote, "This Cake from Anne Byrn, aka The Cake Mix Doctor, is so good no one will know it’s not made from scratch. We doubled the frosting called for in Anne’s original recipe to add extra richness."
Make this for a special Dad and he will be reminded that he is a rich man indeed.
Ingredients for 12 Servings
• 1 (18.25-ounce) Package white cake mix
• 1 (3-ounce) Package strawberry gelatin
• 4 Large eggs
• ½ Cup sugar
• ½ Cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
• ½ Cup milk
• ½ Vegetable oil
• 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
• Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (see below)
• Garnish with whole and halved strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat cake mix, strawberry gelatin, eggs, sugar, chopped fresh strawberries, milk, vegetable oil and all-purpose flour at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down sides, and beat at medium speed for 2 more minutes, stopping to scrape down sides, as needed. (The Strawberries should be well blended.)
2. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes, or until cakes spring back when pressed lightly with a finger. Let cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely (about 1 hour.)
4. Spread the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole and halved strawberries. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 1 week.
Note: This recipe was tested at Southern Living using Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix, White. The recipe for the Strawberry Tart shown in the photo is on page 186 of the new book.
To make ahead: Prepare recipe as directed. Chill, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until frosting is set. Cover well with wax paper, and store in refrigerator up to a week.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
• 1 Cup butter, softened
• (32-ounce) Package powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 Cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 20 seconds). Add sugar and strawberries, beating at low speed until creamy. (Add more sugar if frosting is too thin, or add strawberries if too thick.)
To learn more about the book from which this recipe was taken (page 43), go to: Classic Southern Desserts: All-Time Favorite Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Puddings, Cobblers, Ice Cream & More
To view all the recipes on the American Feast web site just scroll down after you go to: American Feast's Recipe Collection
To follow American Feast on Facebook go to: American Feast on Facebook
To follow American Feast's Founder on Twitter go to: Jeff Deasy on Twitter
For information related to the purchase of advertising space and editorial coverage on the American Feast web site call Jeff Deasy toll free at 877-332-7875 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org